[xorg] X3100 OpenGL incredibly slow and buggy on 2.2.0

Richard Goedeken SirRichard at fascinationsoftware.com
Wed Jan 2 17:46:59 PST 2008

Roland Scheidegger wrote:
> Todays IGPs (be it from intel, amd or nvidia) can at best rival cards
> from the nvidia 6200tc or ati x300 hm class, and even that might be a
> stretch...
>
> Roland

Roland,

Thanks for the info on the GPU internals.  I've written CUDA software for the
8800 but didn't know about the architecture of the other devices.  I ran Eric
Anholt's OpenArena demo and the performance difference was even bigger than the
ratio of the glxgears scores.  Using the same version of openarena (0.7.1) with
the same graphics settings, here's what I got (average of 2 runs):

GF6600 silencer: 248fps @ 640x480, 217fps @ 1024x768
965GM X3100: 34fps @ 640x480, 27fps @ 1024x768

 From looking at the CPU graph after returning from the demo on the MiniPC it
didn't appear as though the CPU was pegged even for 1 core, so it probably
wasn't constrained by a software fallback.  But I may run a profile on the N64
emulator anyway just to find out for sure where the time is going.  I haven't
heard about 'oprofile' before, but it looks like a good tool.

Maybe someone with a 945 chipset can run the same benchmark for the sake of
comparison? (http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/Benchmarking)

Richard