HDMI output under Linux

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Wed Jan 2 10:32:22 PST 2008

On Wed, 2008-01-02 at 17:49 +0000, Igor Mozolevsky wrote:

> Huh? So much for loose coupling and compartmentalization! The OS ought
> to provide abstraction to HDMI as two independent devices: one for
> video and one for audio, then it's upto the software (say, a dvd
> player) to decide how to use them. Why would you mangle audio with
> X11?..

Not exactly X11, but the kernel video device driver will need work to
support advertising the available audio modes for the current video
mode. And that will require that the kernel know the video mode, which
means waiting for this driver to move to kernel mode setting.

I'm sure there's a good reason to interleave audio data in the video
blanking periods, but making the available audio formats depend on the
current video mode is not much fun.

keith.packard at intel.com