Prrobably silly Q? re xhost

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Tue Jan 1 02:04:33 PST 2008

Gene Heskett wrote:

> I would like to add another machine to the x clients at boot time, but I boot
> to runlevel 3, so that xhost +ad.dr.es.s in my rc.local is just an error
> message.
>
> How can I add this so its done quite late in the 'startx' sequence?

Are you starting an X session with startx at boot time? The more usual
scenario is to start a display manager (xdm, gdm, kdm).

If you're using startx, the obvious place would be the xinitrc script;
typically /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc (check the startx script for the
actual location) unless the user (presumably root) has a ~/.xinitrc
script.

If you're using a display manager, the details vary between programs;
For xdm, /etc/X11/xdm/Xsession is a reasonable guess; check the
xdm-config file (e.g. /etc/X11/xdm/xdm-config) for the actual
location.

Bear in mind that the X startup scripts and configuration files are
often customised by distribution vendors, so you will get more precise
answers on a forum dedicated to your particular OS distribution.