kernel modesetting progress report....

Dave Airlie airlied at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 22:53:46 PST 2008

So just to let people know where kernel modesetting is getting to and
what I'm up to with it..

So I really want to ship something in Fedora 9 with kernel modesetting
in it, whether this is a default or a special boot option for the user
I won't decide for a while.

But with this in mind I've checked in bunch of changes to the
modesetting drm to make modesetting optional for i915, you now load
the i915 module with modeset=1 to enable it.
I've also created an intel-kernelmode branch which is based on the
intel-batchbuffer branch, with fairly clean modesetting integration.
It still needs work to fixup a few features but I'm going to work my
way through the list.
(it needs fixes for rotation + video at the moment)

The DDX driver can detect whether modesetting is enabled in the drm
and does the right thing for each case.

I checked a patch into the server to allow the crtc callback to work,
I think this breaks ABI with xf86Crtc.c users, need to confirm what
the proper action for this is.

Dave.