documentation on intel driver behavior?

Dan B. Phung phung at cs.columbia.edu
Wed Feb 27 16:44:37 PST 2008

Where can I find documentation on the intel drivers?  I've started to
browse the immense hardware documentation from the
intellinuxgraphics.org website, but trying to go from that documentation
to reading the driver code is somewhat daunting...

a more immediate/concrete question I have is, how does the driver know
when a frame has finished rendering and has displayed that frame on the
screen (e.g. when glFinish() returns)?  Is it assumed that when the
driver returns from i915_driver_vblank_do_wait(), the frame has been
rendered?  It's these expectations of  driver/hardware behavior that I'm
trying to understand.

I've tried tracing the code with printk's, but as you can
imagine...that's somewhat tedious.  I've also loaded the module with
'drm debug=1' and set
#define DRM_DEBUG_CODE 2

but...some pointers would really help...

tia,
dan