Xorg 7.4 release plan

Adam Jackson ajax at redhat.com
Wed Feb 27 08:26:10 PST 2008

On Tue, 2008-02-26 at 11:17 -0800, Dan Nicholson wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 11:06 AM, Adam Jackson <ajax at redhat.com> wrote:
> >
> >  February 29: Branch 1.4.99.901, no new features
>
> Out of curiosity, which version of mesa is being targeted? I would
> assume master since that's what you've been using in Rawhide. In that
> case, does a mesa release need to be coordinated? I guess this depends
> on DRI2.

Aah, the Mesa question.  I love this part.

DRI2, unlike pciaccess, is not a complete switchover.  Both the DDX and
the DRI driver can implement support for either or both of DRI1 and
DRI2, so it's not blocking the release in the sense of "we can't ship
until this works".

I believe, though have not tested, that Mesa 7.0.x can be used to build
the GLX support in current xserver, though obviously that won't get you
DRI2 support.  I would be thrilled to have a Mesa 7.1 release in time
for xserver 1.5, but I don't know how this aligns with Brian's plans for
the world.

Of course, in my truly ideal world, we would build libGLcore.so from
Mesa, and then you wouldn't need the Mesa source at xserver build time
at all.  Why has no one implemented this for me yet?

- ajax