Buggy repeat modes in Render

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Wed Feb 27 07:39:29 PST 2008

On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 12:54:36 +0100, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> I'm afraid it's not feasible to derive this from a single number - any
> breakage could be due to either of at least pixman, fb, the X
> acceleration architecture or the driver.

Right.

But fb and the acceleration architecture are part-and-parcel with the
X server code, so the one reported version number is fine there. And
pixman can be similarly covered to a large extent, (assuming that
people ship pixman and server bits together as "released").

The driver part is much harder to deal with since the X server doesn't
advertise a name or a version number for the driver. Could we perhaps
just fix that?

Meanwhile, the reports I've gotten on this particular bug suggest that
there is at least some element to it that is not driver specific.

> Would it be feasible for Cairo to run tests like these on startup and
> not use the features that it finds to be broken?

I don't think so.

We've already got a handful of workarounds in cairo for X server bugs,
and we really only expect that number to go up, not down. So doing
anything more complex than checking version numbers will quickly start
taking a non-trivial amount of time.

Particularly since doing work at "cairo startup" would mean slowing
down the startup of every graphical application. Not an appealing
prospect.

-Carl