[xorg] building xf86-video-intel against an older X server

Rémi Cardona remi at gentoo.org
Mon Feb 25 15:44:03 PST 2008

Julien Cristau a écrit :
> I'm not sure what this has to do with my question.  Of course if people
> want to get support from upstream when they report bugs, they'll have to
> update to newer versions.  However right now etch has no support for
> i965 and newer chipsets other than using vesa, and that's what I'd like
> to change.  I'm sure there will still be bugs in the driver, but it'll
> still be better than no driver at all...

FWIW, in Gentoo we've had a fair share of bug reports concerning the
Intel driver where people used the stable xorg server (1.3.x) and stack
and the unstable xf86-video-intel (2.1.1 or 2.2.x) . For most of those
bugs, upgrading the server to 1.4.0.90 fixed the issue, especially wrt
VT switching bugs.

Honestly, as a fellow downstream maintainer, I strongly advise you *not*
to use 2.2.x with an old server, unless you have the time and resources
to cope with the influx of bug reports and angry users.

For info, Gentoo will probably stick with 2.1.1 in stable for a little
while, and 2.2.1 will not go to stable unless xserver 1.4.0.90 goes
stable alongside.

Cheers :)

Rémi