xorg crash on Voodoo Banshee

David Hagood david.hagood at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 04:29:33 PST 2008

I know it's kind of an old card, but I have an old system with a Voodoo
Banshee, running Ubuntu Hardy.

Since Gutsy, every time anything tries to do anything with OpenGL, the X
server crashes. I've been able to trace this down to something inside
the tdfx driver, but I can't find what package has the debug symbols for
this file so I cannot get a meaningful backtrace. It looks like whatever
is dying is trying to jump to 0 - so I'd guess it's some form of
un-initialized function table entry.

The system is running 16 bits per pixel, and used to do OpenGL as well
as could be expected.

Has anybody else seen this regression? Should I bug it, or is there some
more troubleshooting I can reasonably do? Should I bit the bullet and
build everything from source?