Loadable modules

David Nusinow dnusinow at speakeasy.net
Sat Feb 23 07:02:56 PST 2008

On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 12:57:51PM +0000, Peter Gaines wrote:
>    Can anybody point me towards some documentation
>    for developing loadable modules for X11R7?
>    I have been unable to find any.
>    Anything such as example programs or a reference implementation
>    would help enormously.

For pretty much anything you'll want to look at the X server itself (many
of its components are loadable modules) and any drivers of interest.

>    The kind of issues I need clarified are:
>
>    - A definition of the API?

This pretty much depends on what you want to write. If it's a driver, check
the DESIGN document in the hw/xfree86/doc/sgml directory for the server
source tree. If it's a server extension, you'll want to look at the
implementations for those in the server tree. Many of them are in
directories at the root level of the source tree.

>    - Are loadable modules always shared libraries.

Currently, yes they are.

>    - Are there special linker options required for building these modules?

I don't believe so, but I could well be wrong here. Check the build systems
for the server and drivers to make sure.

 - David Nusinow