10-50% CPU used by xorg?

Ross Vandegrift ross at kallisti.us
Wed Feb 20 09:18:01 PST 2008

On Mon, Feb 18, 2008 at 06:05:30PM +0100, Ben E. Hard wrote:
> is it normal, that Xorg uses something between 10 to 50 (or even more) percent
> of my CPU (according to top)? I have a i830M with intel from git on a vaio
> laptop with a Intel(R) Pentium(R) III Mobile CPU  1000MHz, and a dual-screen
> setup.
>
> Sometimes the system is quite slow and I wonder, if this might be related to
> xorg.

Since no one has mentioned it, TTF font rendering with subpixel
smoothing and all the jazz is very, very cpu intensive.
gnome-terminal defaults to using TTF, and a large scrolling terminal
will easy eat most of one Core 2 proc.  Switching your terminal font
to "fixed" can increase this by orders of magnitude.

--
Ross Vandegrift
ross at kallisti.us

man in the bonds of Hell."