10-50% CPU used by xorg?

Ben E. Hard bve at gmx.de
Tue Feb 19 02:25:25 PST 2008

Am Dienstag, 19. Februar 2008 schrieb Daniel Kasak:
> On Mon, 2008-02-18 at 18:05 +0100, Ben E. Hard wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > is it normal, that Xorg uses something between 10 to 50 (or even more)
> > percent of my CPU (according to top)? I have a i830M with intel from git
> > on a vaio laptop with a Intel(R) Pentium(R) III Mobile CPU  1000MHz, and
> > a dual-screen setup.
> >
> > Sometimes the system is quite slow and I wonder, if this might be related
> > to xorg.
>
> Your question lacks any substance that could be of use in answering.
> What is running on X? An xterm? Gnome? Tuxracer? What version of X? What
> drivers? What config options?
You are right, but I didn't know really what could influence the load of X. I
have kde runnning (3.5.8), with kmail, no 3d-applications or compiz (only
some transparency for menus in kde), a konsole for top, X 7.3; intel driver
from git.

> We have Intel 855G -based systems at work, and sometimes X takes up 50%
> of our CPU as well ... perhaps you use your system the same way we use
> ours?

Ok, I don't know if I use it the same way as you, but your comment made me
think, that the behaviour might be quite normal. I can see for example, that
the fact that I'm writing these lines brings X from around 10 % up to 20-30%.
Same for every change of the all application-windows (moving them around and
changing the contents). Also if I open a konqueror window and move it around
fast, X goes up to 80%.
Greetings,
Ben