State of X - Google Tech Talk

Harald Braumann harry at unheit.net
Wed Feb 13 15:46:34 PST 2008

On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 22:37:34 -0800
"David Sharp" <whereami at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Feb 11, 2008 8:33 PM, JoJo jojo <onetwojojo at gmail.com> wrote:
> > That was ..umm quite interesting,
> >
> > Keith Packard was impressive, at the same time, it was quite light
> > on X, perhaps they should forget that they are presenting to the
> > audience sitting in front of them,
> > and think about us, who watch it on the internet. Wish the next
> > time he decides to speak,
> >  he goes in all the gory details of X innards.
>
> While I agree that many frequent readers of this list might not have
> learned much, I think it's ridiculous to expect them to forget their
> live audience...
But even as a frequent reader of this list it is hard to follow the
development of all the new and shiny things done in and around X. Until
smth has been released, information about what's going on is scattered
on multiple mailing lists, irc channels, devs' personal blogs, etc.
Also dedicated news sites of some projects are usually updated
enthusiastically only for a short time after they have been set up.

Maybe people intimately familiar with the development of X could drop a
line now and then on this list about what's going on. I think many
would be interested in this kind of update and the barrier to do so
would be lower than writing an essay to be published on the web
somewhere or maintaining some news site.

Regards,
harry