State of X - Google Tech Talk

JoJo jojo onetwojojo at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 22:31:06 PST 2008

will surely check those video links, much thanks.

I think of Google as a platform, for technology.
The user/dev community needs to make efficient use of that platform,
people like Bart can give the intro kinda talks, but to make most optimal
use of developers time (speaking & preparing), match the content to
their capability,
in order to get the best amount of information out. Internet is a much
larger audience.
(more importantly, it remembers & has a memory)

besides if your audience is a bunch of construction workers, what do you do ?
(ahem, send someone else), speaking to the lowest common denominator
is reserved for politicians alone.

X awareness issue, users should not be aware of X, they interact with
Gnome/KDE etc.
A subset of all developers need to be aware of X.

"X is something we used in the 80ies",
This is ideally how it should be,
"users" shouldn't be aware of it, developers of interact with X
periphery should be aware of it (not all developers)
( on that note, users are painfully aware of X, every time desktop
stops working, at least those who have tried UNIX/Linux gui's )

"X is not only up-to-date"
As compared to what, XF86?, there really is nothing to compare X with,
coz' X has moved so many things into & out of it over the years.

"X still has an image problem" (er.. they'll fix it, file a bug report ;-)

on the X wiki
the wheels of X bureaucracy are still turning, no decision on Media Wiki target.
(meanwhile, the front page fails W3C validation, with 9 errors.)

and of course I accept your point of view. yeah, the talk content was
suitable to the audience.

-JoJo