looking at wide mode support for GeodeLX (continued)

Bart Trojanowski bart at jukie.net
Fri Feb 8 11:15:48 PST 2008

Jordan,

thanks for the thorough explanation of Cimarron.

* Jordan Crouse <jordan.crouse at amd.com> [080208 13:07]:
> Are we sure that there isn't a USERDEF equivalent for DDC?

We have these choices:

    # define M_T_BUILTIN 0x01        /* built-in mode */
    # define M_T_CLOCK_C (0x02 | M_T_BUILTIN) /* built-in mode - configure clock */
    # define M_T_CRTC_C  (0x04 | M_T_BUILTIN) /* built-in mode - configure CRTC  */
    # define M_T_CLOCK_CRTC_C  (M_T_CLOCK_C | M_T_CRTC_C) /* built-in mode - configure CRTC and clock */
    # define M_T_PREFERRED 0x08     /* preferred mode within a set */
    # define M_T_DEFAULT 0x10       /* (VESA) default modes */
    # define M_T_USERDEF 0x20       /* One of the modes from the config file */
    # define M_T_DRIVER  0x40       /* Supplied by the driver (EDID, etc) */

> What is pMode->type for a mode from DDC?

All DDC modes get M_T_DRIVER, I think.  From what I can see, one of them
will be M_T_PREFERRED.  Code is in xserver-xorg/hw/xfree86/ddc/ddcProperty.c

> Well - this is academic if we either get rid of the cimarron mode or figure
> out a way to flag DDC modes.

There may be other fields in the Mode structure that we might be able to use:

    int                         PrivSize;
    INT32 *                     Private;
    int                         PrivFlags;

Whose private data that is?  Is it x-private or driver-private?
I shall investigate.

> Possibly, though X can do things like that and not tell you.
>
> You'll have to check in LXSetVideoMode to see what the active X and active Y
> size is.  If we're setting whatever pMode-> tells us too, then its X,but
> if pMode is asking for 1920x1200 and we're ignoring it, then thats our bad.

I will have to get back to you on this one :)

-Bart

--
				WebSig: http://www.jukie.net/~bart/sig/