[intel + sisusb + xinerama + randr 1.2, oh my] this should work, but doesn't.

Adam Williamson awilliamson at mandriva.com
Wed Feb 6 15:22:44 PST 2008

> Hi, all. Well, consider this 'something that should work, but
> doesn't'...
>
> I have a laptop (Lenovo 3000 V100) with an Intel chip. I want to have
> two external monitors. Unfortunately, the machine only has one external
> VGA port. I can use the internal display along with an external monitor
> just fine, with RandR 1.2 (I'm on today's git master state of the intel
> driver). But that just ain't cool enough.
>
> So I went out and picked up something rejoicing in the name of a Tritton
> See2, which is a USB graphics adapter. It works, with the sisusb driver.
> If I just set up my xorg.conf to ignore the Intel chip entirely and only
> use the sisusb device, I can get a perfectly good single-head setup
> through it.
>
> However, unfortunately, putting the whole shebang together doesn't seem
> to work. I set up an xorg.conf which should have 'screen1' on the Intel
> adapter (encompassing my internal and external panels) and 'screen2' on
> the Tritton adapter both enabled, using Xinerama, hit startx, and it
> falls over with a signal 11 in the Intel driver's RandR 1.2 code. Even
> if I simplify it to just one output connected to intel and one to sisusb
> (a.k.a. unplug the intel's external monitor), no go.

Quick update: with i810, it works (give or take i810's general
crappiness at handling external monitors). So I think it's basically
down to RandR 1.2. I can live with using i810 for now, but it'd sure be
nice to have this working along with RandR 1.2.

I haven't tried to have both the internal and external displays on the
Intel adapter working along with the sisusb display (sounds like a
recipe for *fun*!), but the simpler one monitor on i810 and one monitor
on sisusb case works.
--
adamw