intel and uvesafb

Raúl Sánchez Siles rasasi78 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 14:23:58 PST 2008

Johannes Engel wrote:

> Raúl Sánchez Siles wrote:
>>   AFAIK, the xorg intel driver doesn't support any vesa(fb) graphics mode
>>   on
>> text consoles. I think this is because, those (Linux)kernel plays with
>> video card registers in a way that xorg driver can't control.
>>
> Hm, that does not seem to be my point: I get framebuffer text console
> using the old vesa driver. That even works in parallel with the intel
> xorg driver. So maybe we are discussing different things.
>
> Greetings, Johannes

  Well, not supported doesn't mean doesn't work at all, but that it may
break at any point. I had framebuffer working quite well till several weeks
git driver versions. But since I'm on 965GM, it's possible that the
behaviour on your card is different.

 Having said this, maybe this is not the problem, but in order to discard
this problem could you try running text console with native text modes (not
framebuffer modes)?

  Thanks.

--
     Raúl Sánchez Siles