Xorg-server 1.4.0.90 problem....

Magnus Kessler Magnus.Kessler at gmx.net
Tue Feb 5 23:35:07 PST 2008

On Wednesday 06 February 2008, Robin Cook wrote:
> I updated my xorg-modular and now I am having keys on my keyboard not
> working, mainly the arrows, pgXX, home, end, delete, etc.

Hi Robin,

looks like you've encountered a common issue. With 1.4.90, by default the
input-evdev driver is being used for the keyboard driver, even if you've
got a different driver (kbd) configured in your xorg.conf file.

> In Xorg.0.log is this error.
>
> (WW) Couldn't load XKB keymap, falling back to pre-XKB keymap
>
> This is the output of xprop
>
>  xprop -root _XKB_RULES_NAMES
> _XKB_RULES_NAMES(STRING) = "xorg", "pc104", "us,us", "dvorak,",
> "grp:alts_toggle"
>
> This is from my xorg.conf
>
> Section "InputDevice"
>         Identifier  "Keyboard0"
>         Driver      "kbd"
>         Option      "XkbModel" "pc104"

Try setting XkbModel to "evdev". If you're using a DE like Gnome or KDE make
sure that the DE's keyboard configuration tool does not set this back to a
pcXXX variant.

>         Option      "XkbLayout" "us"
>         Option      "XkbRules" "Xorg"
> EndSection
>
> I am lost as to what I need to look at to fix this problem...

Other possibilities have been discussed on this list recently as well [0]
[1]. The 3 new options AutoAddDevices, AutoEnableDevices, and
AllowEmptyInput influence if and how the input-hotplug code deals with
devices.

Best Regards,

Magnus

[0] http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xorg/2008-January/031929.html