intel and uvesafb

Raúl Sánchez Siles rasasi78 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 15:56:26 PST 2008

Johannes Engel wrote:

> Ben E. Hard schrieb:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I couldn't find if that has been discussed/told before: I tried to use
>> uvesafb for the console and the intel-driver from git for X, which didn't
>> work (no correct resolution for LVDS any more found by the xserver and
>> xrandr, and a corrupted X, large parts are only black). Is that a known
>> issue? I stopped using uvesafb, but would be happy to use it one day for
>> a larger console.
> I also see some "misunderstandings" using uvesafb together with the
> intel driver: Neither X display nor framebuffer console get up again
> after s2ram. I think somebody observed that behaviour once before, but I
> cannot find the corresponding bug at the moment...
>
> Greetings, Johannes

  AFAIK, the xorg intel driver doesn't support any vesa(fb) graphics mode on
text consoles. I think this is because, those (Linux)kernel plays with
video card registers in a way that xorg driver can't control.

  BTW, I think this is a problem and I happen to had the intention to open a
thread about this issue. Maybe this is not needed, I will proceed on this
one.

  Framebuffer is a video feature used more and more as time goes by. Most
distros relies on fancy graphics to show nice bootsplashes, and this can
only be achieved using framebuffer video modes. I understand the
limitations of the xorg/Linux video drivers. And I understand that as they
are currently they can't cope together well.

  But the problem is still there. Who's the responsibility on? Both pieces
should cope together somehow and someday? What do to here? is anything
planned about this?

  Thanks.

--
     Raúl Sánchez Siles