Extra buttons on Genius KYE Navigator 535

Matthias B. msbREMOVE-THIS at winterdrache.de
Mon Feb 4 02:35:15 PST 2008

On Mon, 04 Feb 2008 08:43:40 +0100 Thomas Ilnseher <illth at gmx.de> wrote:

> Am Samstag, den 02.02.2008, 20:37 +0100 schrieb Matthias B.:
> > I have a Genius KYE Navigator 535 USB mouse. It features some extra
> > buttons, but it seems they don't generate any events (I checked with
> > evtest und Linux) until programmed.
>
> I *think* this should work OOTB.

Why do you think so? This is a programmable mouse that presents itself to
the system as a mouse/keyboard hybrid (according to
/proc/bus/input/devices it has all the keys of a keyboard). Apparently
for maximum game compatibility (this is a gamer mouse) they don't use
cheap driver-side keyboard event simulation (which will often not work
with games that use DirectX) but program the mouse to send the USB
events that an actual keyboard would.

IOW, this is not just a simple USB HID with 9 buttons.

> I'd suggest this is a misconfiguration on your side. What is your
> distribution? can you post your xorg.conf?

I'm using Gentoo and I've attached my InputDevice sections (and no,
before you ask, taking out the 2nd mouse doesn't help). But note that as
I've already said, I tested with evtest on the Linux console and the extra
buttons do not send any events. If evtest
doesn't see any events for those extra buttons on /dev/input/..., how
would the Xorg driver see them?

So I'm quite sure that I need to program that mouse before the extra
buttons will send events. I'll need something like lomoco (which is for
Logitech mice).
I think I'll try programming the mouse on a friend's Windows system and
I'm hopeful that it'll retain the programming. But of course it would be a
lot better if I could program it under Linux.

MSB

--
Entropy requires no maintenance.