Initial Radeon R6xx/R7xx acceleration support pushed

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Mon Dec 29 13:33:39 PST 2008

It's finally here!  r6xx-r7xx-support branches of the drm and
xf86-video-radeonhd.

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/drm/log/?h=r6xx-r7xx-support
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/driver/xf86-video-radeonhd/log/?h=r6xx-r7xx-support

After months of hard work we are finally able to push out initial drm
and accel code for r6xx and r7xx chipsets.  We couldn't have done this
without a lot of hard work from a lot of people.  Of particular note:

Matthias Hopf - implementing r600_demo as a test program to get the hw
up and running
Dave Airlie - initial r6xx drm implementation
John Bridgman - sheparding along the IP review process

This release is mostly targeted at developers as the code is not
really ready for regular use.  The accompanying r6xx/r7xx register
spec is still in IP review and will be released soon.

Current drm status:
- only indirect ioctl currently implemented (for EXA/Xv)
- mesa support will require additional work

Current EXA/Xv status:
- lack of direction blitter makes overlapping copy blits difficult.
current code breaks down overlapping blits into line by line blits of
non-overlapping regions. running xcompmgr -a is highly recommended for
decent performance
- a8 support has issues
- planar Xv shader implemented, but not working properly yet
- missing Xv shader support for packed formats. should be easy to
adapt the planar Xv shader once that is working
- composite mask support is currently broken. I suspect the interpolater setup.
- depth 16 is untested

Alex