screen resolution to be fixed in gnome

Bernhard Kleine bbfk at gmx.net
Sun Dec 28 08:16:16 PST 2008

Hallo, my first post to this list.

I am using debian sid with actual, i.e. latest packages. After some
tuning I could bring the xserver-xorg to start gnome display manager and
its welcome screen at the desired, highest resolution 1920 x 1200 px.
However, after logging in it takes a few seconds and than the resolution
shifts to 1280 x 800, something I never added to any configuration file.

I am using gnome. Do you happen to know where -- aside from xorg.conf --
screen resolution is to be saved or controlled?

Any help appreciated.

Bernhard

xserver-xorg is Version 1:7.3+18
libgnome2-0 is Version 2.20.1.1-2

my xorg.conf

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier	"Generic Keyboard"
	Driver		"kbd"
	Option		"XkbRules"	"xorg"
	Option		"XkbModel"	"pc102"
	Option		"XkbLayout"	"de"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier	"Configured Mouse"
	Driver		"mouse"
EndSection

Section "Device"
	Identifier	"ATI Technologies, Inc. Radeon RV100 QY [Radeon
7000/VE]"
	Driver		"ati"
	BusID		"PCI:1:0:0"
	VideoRam	65800
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier	"Samsung T240HD"
	VendorName	"Arlt.com"
	ModelName	"T240HD"
	HorizSync    	30.0 - 81.0
	VertRefresh  	56.0 - 71.0
	Modeline 	"1920x1200"  154.00  1920 1968 2000 2080  1200
1203 1209 1235
	Option 		"PreferredMode" "1920x1200"
	Option		"DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
	Identifier	"Default Screen"
	Device		"ATI Technologies, Inc. Radeon RV100 QY [Radeon
7000/VE]"
	Monitor		"Samsung T240HD"
	DefaultDepth	24
	SubSection "Display"
		Depth	15
		Modes	"1920x1200"
		Virtual 1920 1200
	EndSubSection
	SubSection "Display"
		Depth	16
		Modes	"1920x1200"
		Virtual 1920 1200
	EndSubSection
	SubSection "Display"
		Depth	24
		Modes	"1920x1200"
		Virtual 1920 1200
	EndSubSection
EndSection

#uebernommen von http://linuxwacom.sourceforge.net/index.php/howto/
inputdev
Section "InputDevice"
  Driver        "wacom"
  Identifier    "stylus"
  Option        "Device"        "/dev/input/wacom"
  Option        "Type"          "stylus"
  Option        "USB"           "on"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
  Driver        "wacom"
  Identifier    "eraser"
  Option        "Device"        "/dev/input/wacom"
  Option        "Type"          "eraser"
  Option        "USB"           "on"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
  Driver        "wacom"
  Identifier    "cursor"
  Option        "Device"        "/dev/input/wacom"
  Option        "Type"          "cursor"
  Option        "USB"           "on"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
  Driver        "wacom"
  Identifier    "pad"
  Option        "Device"        "/dev/input/wacom"
  Option        "Type"          "pad"
  Option        "USB"           "on"
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     	"Default Layout"
        Screen 0 	"Default Screen"   	0 0
        InputDevice    	"Configured Mouse"    	"CorePointer"
        InputDevice    	"Generic Keyboard" 	"CoreKeyboard"
        InputDevice    	"stylus"    		"SendCoreEvents"
        InputDevice    	"eraser"    		"SendCoreEvents"
        InputDevice    	"cursor"    		"SendCoreEvents"
        InputDevice    	"pad"
EndSection