radeon supported resolutions?

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Sat Dec 27 19:34:20 PST 2008

On Sat, Dec 27, 2008 at 4:18 PM, Christian Leber <christian at leber.de> wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 27, 2008 at 03:45:08PM -0500, Felix Miata wrote:
>
>> I have openSUSE 11.1 on a Radeon 7500 (r100) doing 1920x1080 via VGA out on
>> my 1080p TV. I doubt anything newer like you list could possibly fail to do
>> 1920x1200 at all, though I have no clue about DVI.
>
> For radeon 7500 and 8500 the AMD page says nothing about the TMDS, so
> i think it is up to an external chip and it's speed.

All radeons r1xx-r4xx (even some rage 128s) have an integrated 165 Mhz
TMDS transmitter.  External TMDS chips are generally only used for
dual-link TMDS and for secondary TMDS for dual-DVI cards.  R5xx and
newer radeons have several integrated dual-link capable TMDS
transmitters (not all oems wire up the ports to be dual-link capable
however).

> So it is possible that it does not support 1920x1200, like for example
> the useless NVIDIA NVS 280 is my box, it has only a 135 Mhz TMDS.
>
> (and the same seems to apply (i get no output when i try to get
> 1920x1200 on the TMDS-1 output) for my useless Dell Latitude D830 (intel) in
> combination with the defunctional D-Port)
> (another example are the Matrox G550 cards, they are available with 2
> DVI, but they support only 1280x1024)
>
> For 1920x1200 you need at least a 154 Mhz TMDS and a radeon 9200 already
> has an integrated 165 Mhz one, so i guess that for any 9200 and newer
> card 1920x1200 will just work.
> (http://ati.amd.com/products/radeon9200/radeon9200/specs.html)

All radeons should support the 1920x1200 @154Mhz mode over DVI.  The
only exception would be certain oem cards where the connectors or
traces aren't designed to handle high bandwidth modes.  You might also
need to tweak the display watermarks on cards with limited memory
bandwidth if you experience underflow.

Alex