about continuous frequency

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Fri Dec 26 07:57:30 PST 2008

On Thu, Dec 25, 2008 at 2:33 AM, Ma, Ling <ling.ma at intel.com> wrote:
> hi Alex,
> Because the flag exist in EDID, but some laptop can't provide EDID, how can we know whether it support continuous frequency or not ?

Hi,

  Most laptop panels have a fixed resolution so generally the driver
will always run the panel at it's native resolution regardless of the
requested mode.  If a non-native mode is selected, the driver will
either reject the mode or use the scaler the up/down-scale the
requested mode to the panel's native resolution and timing.

Alex