Fw: Re: [ANNOUNCE] xf86-video-ati 6.9.0.91 - release candidate

Timo Jyrinki timo.jyrinki at gmail.com
Wed Dec 24 14:36:42 PST 2008

2008/12/24 Gene Heskett <gene.heskett at verizon.net>:
>>> But now this exposes a new problem I don't recall in these exact words,
>>> when I do a startx, it cannot load the kernel radeon module
>>> (this from the Xorg.0.log)
>
> Any comment on this?
> for the health & well being of an HD2400-Pro (rv610) card?

The direct rendering manager (ie. the kernel modules) does not yet
support r600/r700 class chipsets. The highest currrently supported
Radeon card with 3D support and other acceleration is Radeon X1950.

Of course, there _is_ an open driver in development inside AMD
supporting all cards HD 2400 - HD 4870, and the initial release was
originally hoped for Christmas. Read the latest news on Phoronix about
that: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Njg2Mw

So you have to hold your breath a little longer, and meanwhile you
have all the outputs working but without any special acceleration
(except that mergedfb mentioned).

-Timo