Building latest Intel support for 945G

Cliff Lawson cliff at amshold.com
Thu Dec 18 14:27:57 PST 2008

Folks,

I am tantalisingly close to finding the problem I've got with the Xorg
that I've built but I just need one little pointer in the right
direction.

In my previous post I found that some functions in Xorg were not being
found by driver modules trying to be linked in. In the example in the
example shown in Xorg.0.log was a miPolyRectangle() function. So I went
grep'ing and nm'img about until I could find out where these were
missing from.

In the end I found that the Xorg I built in Vmware (and that worked) had
these things listed in the output of "nm Xorg" but the one I built on
the target system didn't have them. Yet I found the miPolyRectangle in
the libmi.a that had been built on both systems. So there was something
preventing libmi.a getting linked in during the build of Xorg. Finally I
compared the xserver/config.log on both systems and the difference there
that explains why one works and one doesn't is:

XWIN_LIBS='$(top_builddir)/fb/libfb.la $(top_builddir)/Xext/libXext.la
$(top_builddir)/config/libconfig.la $(top_builddir)/Xi/libXi.la
$(top_builddir)/xkb/libxkb.la $(top_builddir)/xkb/libxkbstubs.la
$(top_builddir)/composite/libcomposite.la
$(top_builddir)/damageext/libdamageext.la   '

(which works)

Versus

XWIN_LIBS='$(top_builddir)/fb/libfb.la $(top_builddir)/mi/libmi.la
$(top_builddir)/xfixes/libxfixes.la $(top_builddir)/Xext/libXext.la
$(top_builddir)/config/libconfig.la $(top_builddir)/randr/librandr.la
$(top_builddir)/render/librender.la  $(top_builddir)/dbe/libdbe.la
$(top_builddir)/glx/libglx.la $(top_builddir)/xkb/libxkb.la
$(top_builddir)/xkb/libxkbstubs.la
$(top_builddir)/composite/libcomposite.la
$(top_builddir)/damageext/libdamageext.la
$(top_builddir)/miext/damage/libdamage.la
$(top_builddir)/miext/shadow/libshadow.la $(top_builddir)/Xi/libXi.la
$(top_builddir)/os/libos.la'

(which does not work)

libmi appears in the second but not the first and something about this
causes it not to be linked into the final Xorg that is built.

So what causes something to be listed or not listed on this line created
by autogen.sh in the xserver directory? Presumably the autogen is
finding something different between the two setups - but what?

Cliff