X12 [wasRe: Zoom Support]

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Thu Dec 18 10:35:26 PST 2008

Le jeudi 18 décembre 2008 à 18:49 +0100, Olivier Galibert a écrit :

> I really think that in terms of mental model, layout changes and input
> language changes usually don't have the same scope, and the X server
> and X protocol are at the wrong level for the language changes but at
> the correct level for keyboard layout changes (under client-side
> control obviously).

If you had a cyrillic and latin layout, you'd hate it if focusing a
window switched langage back to russian but left you with the latin
input layout. The worst of both worlds: the app believing you're
inputing one language, and the layout fit for another.

Really the two properties need to be managed closely together and having
two completely different systems is the road to madness.

The MS model is you have a desktop-wide language selector, that decides
if switching layout is necessary when you change language (based on
user-defined language,layout preferences pairs).

I don't have strong opinions on whether the language selector needs to
be windows-wide or desktop-wide. But I'm 100% sure their scope needs to
be the same.

--
Nicolas Mailhot