X12 [wasRe: Zoom Support]

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Thu Dec 18 09:02:33 PST 2008

Le Jeu 18 décembre 2008 17:29, Olivier Galibert a écrit :

> On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 02:51:52PM +0100, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
>> I hope that when XI and XKB are reworked a "language" property will
>> be
>> added to the protocol.
>>
>> Right now many apps try to infer the language being written from the
>> xkb layout in use (for on the fly spellchecking, activation of the
>> correct locl font features, etc) and since the same layout can be
>> used
>> to write different languages the heuristic breaks badly.
>
> In which way the language is an server-level issue?  The keyboard
> layout, definitively, but the language?
> Having a "default language" as a desktop-level property, sure, but
> protocol level does not make much sense.

Layout and language are closely related. Basically for a globalized
user that types in multiple languages, you have two situations :
1. If his current layout is sufficient for the other language, he will
perform a language shift but keep the layout
2. Otherwise he will perform a simultaneous language+layout shift

So both are dynamic properties that have similar change triggers and
will probably be controlled by the same desktop bit of code (and
similarly most apps which will want the status of one of them will
also want the status of the other)

--
Nicolas Mailhot