Zoom Support

Marius Gedminas marius at gedmin.as
Wed Dec 17 02:02:34 PST 2008

On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 12:04:16PM +1000, Peter Hutterer wrote:
> > Actually MS has defined standard Zoom+/Zoom- keycodes in the HID spec
> > (before mouse wheel zooming took over MS thought a zoom lever in its
> > ergo keyboards would be a great idea), so if they are not part of the
> > >255 crowd xorg currently zaps commanding zoom function should just be a
> > matter of sending those codes, and hoping zooming apps recognize them
>
> you're right, there's a key for it. from linux/input.h:
> #define KEY_ZOOMIN 0x1a2
> #define KEY_ZOOMOUT 0x1a3
>
> To send that key from an input driver you'd have to init the key class and
> send the keycode up to the DDX. But being > 255 the server would ignore it.

Are there any plans about dealing with keycodes > 255?  I keep noticing
this problem in various contexts recently, and I'd like to know if

  * there's no known solution
  * there's a solution, but nobody currently has the time to work on it
  * there's a solution and somebody is working on it

Marius Gedminas
--
F U cn rd dis U mst uz Unix.