X server exported symbols broken

Paulo César Pereira de Andrade pcpa at mandriva.com.br
Fri Dec 12 23:55:58 PST 2008

Peter Hutterer wrote:
>> I just wasted quite some time to get master to actually start.
>> Unresolved
>> symbols all over the place, both with intel and with vesa. Vesa had
>> xf86InterpretEDID, intel had three or four different ones
>> (miPolyRectangle
>> was one of them IIRC). Rebuilding with and without
>> --enable/disable-visibility
>> didn't change anything.
>
> I found the problem. Ubuntu (Hardy) installs mawk as default awk process,
> and
> mawk can't deal with the /^extern[[:space:]]/ line in the sdksym.sh
> script, so
> the symbol table is always empty. Installing gawk fixes the problem. I'm
> not
> sure if that still affects newer Ubuntu versions, but maybe we can put a
> check
> in for that?

  And I did not write it in perl to avoid people willing to
convert it to awk, telling awk is more portable/reliable :-)

  The attached patch works with gawk and mawk. I don't have
access to a BSD or Solaris Xorg build right now, but I believe
it should also work with posix awk. Can someone confirm please?

  It could also be a good idea toadd a small set of hardcoded
symbols in the template sdksyms.c, so that the linker would
link all symbols. The previous *sym.c files were very outdated,
but still, referenced enough symbols to prevent this problem...

> Cheers,
>   Peter

Paulo