new Xorg + btnx

Timothy S. Nelson wayland at wayland.id.au
Thu Dec 11 15:45:19 PST 2008

On Fri, 12 Dec 2008, Peter Hutterer wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 12:38:31PM -0800, William Tracy wrote:
>> http://ubersoft.net/void-initrand/misc-wherein-i-curse-ubuntu-needlessly-breaking-something-useful
>>
>> 1. I don't use btnx, so I don't share his problem. Ask him for details, not me.
>> 2. The root of the problem seems related to changes in Xorg, so I
>> thought I'd pass it along. If it actually has more to do with a Linux
>> kernel change, my apologies for spamming the list.
>>
>> Short summary: btnx is a program for remapping extra mouse buttons to
>> different actions. A recent Xorg release (supposedly related to the
>> introduction of evdev) seems to break the API it depends on.
>>
>> Now, if there's just a *different* API available now for accessing raw
>> mouse input, and the user-visible applications just need to catch up,
>> then fine. However, if this information is simply no longer available
>> to clients, then this list should at least be aware of the issue.
>
> How exactly does btnx work?
> The above rant is more whining than actually explaining what is broken and I
> don't have the time to distill whatever little information there is.

 	I don't use it, but I had a quick flick round, and the developer says:

> It seems that the kernel input event pipes can no longer be read.

 	Found that here: http://www.ollisalonen.com/btnx/

 	Am I right in guessing that it's just what the original poster would
call "A different API"?

 	HTH,

| Name: Tim Nelson                 | Because the Creator is,        |
| E-mail: wayland at wayland.id.au    | I am                           |