[Fwd: Re: How To Reduce/Eliminate Horizontal Tearing]

elupus elupus at ecce.se
Thu Dec 11 15:07:03 PST 2008

On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 00:34:47 -0500 (EST), Nick Nobody wrote:

> That would be really cool, I obviously have no idea how to implement it
> though... At the moment I'm using XBMC to play back videos and it does
> have a "Vertical Blank Sync" option but I'm not sure of how it's
> implemented (it clearly doesn't work as advertised). I doubt they're using
> Xv anyway so that's irrelevant.

Hmm.. There shouldn't be a problem with tearing in xbmc for intel cards.
Atleast I don't have it anymore. I have noted that if driconf is set to
always wait on blank, on some systems we end up waiting twice (just set it
to driver select in settings), but otherwise there shouldn't be a problem.

Then again, I've not tested master of current xorg/xserver/dri. But
hardy/gutsy versions work just fine.

The only issue was that we have to force a glFinish() before swapping in
case of driconf set to always wait, since driver seem to wait for vblank
then flush/finish opengl commands which makes it often miss the vblank.

And no we don't use xv.

Regards
elupus at xbmc.org