Weird corruption with Xephyr

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Thu Dec 11 07:50:41 PST 2008

I'm seeing this rather weird corruption with Xephyr.  The system is
running Debian Lenny  with a custom 2.6.27.4 kernel.  I am running
Xephyr 1.5.3.  I've captured an image of this here:

<http://seiner.com/images/imga0018.jpg>

This happens after some time - can be minutes, hours or days.  The
screen just flickers and then wraps right a lot and down very slightly.
You can see it in the poor quality image above (sorry for the poor
quality image.  That was shot with a handheld video camera).  This has
happened on 2 of the 3 Xephyr servers so far.

It doesn't appear to be video driver related; I've been running various
versions of nvidia binary blob driver for a while now.  I have updated
Xephyr from 1.5.1, and the problem appears since then.  A second
machine, which has the same video hardware, and still runs 1.5.1,
doesn't exhibit the problem.

I've been through all the logs I can find, and there is nothing at all
out of the ordinary in any of them.

I've considered hardware failure, but the problem occurs on both video
cards in the system, so it's unlikely that both would fail at the same
time in the same way.

Is there some way to get Xephyr to generate verbose logs to try and
capture this?

Any other suggestions?

--Yan