Trying to use Radeon driver on Apple eMac

Joseph Adams joeyadams3.14159 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 10 23:17:57 PST 2008

My Xorg.0.log and output of xrandr (in the absence of an xorg.conf)
can be found at http://www.funsitelots.com/pub/emac_almostthere .

It looks to me like Xorg is adding default modelines that aren't
appropriate for the internal CRT monitor.  Since my LCD monitor
supports 1280x1024 resolution that matches one of the default modes
picked erroneously for the internal CRT monitor, Xorg picks that
resolution and uses it.  A 1280x1024 external/1280x960 internal
configuration set up through xrandr does work fine, though.

I guess the solution to this is to remove the default modelines and
use the ones I posted (created by gtf) instead.

I'm curious to see if my monitor actually supports those odd
in-between resolutions (832x624, 720x400, 640x400, 640x635) that Mac
OS X doesn't report.  I'll go find out.