2D antialiasing?

Peter Harris peter.harris at hummingbird.com
Wed Dec 10 09:42:04 PST 2008

McDonald, Michael-p7438c wrote:
> One of our customers thinks X has 2D antialiasing. In the old days, X
> had very specific pixelization rules which pretty much prohibited
> antialiasing for general graphics. Is there any supposrt for 2D
> antialiasing? The only thing I can find is using Xrender for
> antialiasing fonts. Anything else?

Xrender also has the ability to draw antialiased triangles and
trapezoids[1], and can filter scaled copies[2].

Beyond Xrender, I can't think of anything off the top of my head that
antialiases in 2D.

Peter Harris

[1] Modern 'xclock' can draw itself antialiased this way.

[2] By drawing everything larger and doing a filtered scaled copy to
your output, you effectively get antialiasing on everything, at the cost
of storage and performance.
--
     Hummingbird Connectivity - A Division of Open Text
Peter Harris                    http://connectivity.hummingbird.com