Xorg and specific signal PC

Beso givemesugarr at gmail.com
Tue Dec 9 04:19:05 PST 2008

2008/12/9 Revolver Onslaught <revolver.onslaught at gmail.com>:
> Hello,
>
> I recently purchased an FullHD 100Hz TV (Samsung LE40F86BDX) and a
> Nvidia GeForce9500 with HDMI output.
> This way, I can link my Linux on my TV.
>
> However, I cannot switch to 100Hz when the PC is linked to the TV
> (HDMI or VGA). I supposed it was a security but I was wrong : any of
> the 1080p FullHD source (Bluray, Xbox 360, etc) I use can be viewed in
> 100Hz even connected via HDMI. In the TV manual, it is wrote that it's
> the behaviour when PC is connected...

what behavior?! does the manual indicate that the 100hz mode isn't available
when connected to the pc output?

> So, I deduce that my Nvidia card send a specific signal, like RVB does
> (I suppose other cards have the same behaviour). This signal is then
> "catched" by the TV and the 100Hz mode is no more available.

have you tried connectig to the dvi or a dvi-hdmi converter and then
connect it to
the tv?!

> Is there any way to switch off this signal with Xorg even with a patch ?
>
> Many thanks,
> RO
if you're sure that the mode is supported you chould force it in your
settings (nvidia control panel or xorg.conf).
beware: if you force a mode that your tv doesn't support when
connected to the pc then you'll most likely
burn the tv and/or the videoboard.

--
dott. ing. beso