MPX window managers?

Sam Spilsbury smspillaz at gmail.com
Mon Dec 8 18:46:11 PST 2008

On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 4:58 AM, Colin Guthrie <gmane at colin.guthr.ie> wrote:
> 'Twas brillig, and Chris Ball at 07/12/08 18:18 did gyre and gimble:
>> Hi Peter,
>>
>>    > mpwm is dead, and it's for the better.  compiz has recently been
>>    > picked up and improved:
>>
>> Thanks for the reply.  This is disappointing; the compiz work is an
>> unreviewed patchset against unspecified versions of compiz and Xorg,
>> with Xorg patches that the author doesn't plan on submitting upstream.
>
> I'd speak to Sam directly about that. I'm not sure it's that he doesn't
> want to submit them upstream, it's just that they are perhaps not
> appropriate for upstream in their current form.

Well, yes. They are quite buggy at the moment. A lot of the plugins
have memory management issues, but I have tried my best to fix them
all up. The only ones that have real problems are group and thumbnail,
but that is because they are quite complex.

The real problem is the transition to MPX in compiz. At the moment,
not very many people's X Servers support XI2 (Only if you compile from
source). I guess I could fix up the buildsystem to do really accurate
detection as to whether both XI2 and Input-Redirection are supported,
perhaps after I finish a few other things.

As far as I know, the patches won't apply at the moment, however it is
the first thing on my todo list to get them to work again once I get
home.

> I doubt it's his long term goal to maintain separate patches into the
> future.

Ideally, I'd like to see them merged in, it just sounds like a lot of
work at the moment considering all the other big patches flying around
at the moment too (animation reworking, elements, proposed compiz
rewrite to c++, NOMAD etc).

I've leared a few git tricks (like branching and rebasing on a commit
hook) in order to help me maintain more accurate patches.

Would love to keep in touch with Peter about this,

Regards,

Sam.

> Col
>
> --