GLX in Xephyr --or-- is there some other way to catch a desktop in a texture?

Peter Harris peter.harris at hummingbird.com
Mon Dec 8 13:20:24 PST 2008

Ashi Krishnan wrote:
> What I'm trying to do: I want to capture all the windows of some
> arbitrary X application as GL textures, then render them in some way,
> without any of this output showing up on screen (except where I
> finally render things, obviously).

Sounds like Project Looking Glass or compiz-fusion.

> To get the window contents, I was going to redirect window contents to
> a texture with Composite / texture_from_pixmap.

Yes, that would be the way to go about the problem.

> This is fine if (1)
> the app creates only one window, and (2) is quite cooperative with
> respect to where it draws that window -- like, say, the xscreensaver
> hacks.

Maybe I'm dense, but I'm not seeing how that's a problem. Since you're
acting as the window manager (you are 'managing' that window), you can
manage all the windows of the application. You can decorate and compose
them however you see fit.

> Ideas?

Write a compiz-fusion plugin instead of reinventing the entire wheel?

Peter Harris
--
     Hummingbird Connectivity - A Division of Open Text
Peter Harris                    http://connectivity.hummingbird.com