[suggestion] mailing list for newbies

Charles Lindsey chl at clerew.man.ac.uk
Mon Dec 8 07:50:35 PST 2008

On Sun, 07 Dec 2008 16:07:43 -0000, Kārlis Repsons
<karlis.repsons at gmail.com> wrote:

> Being rather a newbie in X, I have these questions in mind:
>
> 1. Will this make developers do more enhancements?
> 2. Will this answer more of newbies questions?
> + (in sum) to get a motivation to make newbie list.
>
> Sure, dev list would then be bothered less. The thing is: there are
> people new
> to Xorg, who would like to receive some help and there are experienced
> users / developers, who would better like focusing on enhancements. I'm
> afraid, those two are going to try maximising only one of 1 or 2. For
> this
> not to turn out in just answering 1. question, I'd have to ask: is it
> enough
> valuable feedback, which "newbies" generate in this list?

Well certainly something (whether newbies or not) is preventing the 'devs'
 from seeing the wood through the trees.

I am no newbie, and I recently posted a very technical comment on libxft,
complete with a suggested Patch, in the hope of catching the attention of
the relevant 'dev'. But zilch response. Or is there some other list where
libxft issues ought to be posted?

Tel: +44 161 436 6131
   Web: http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~chl
Email: chl at clerew.man.ac.uk      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.