Intel G45 ModeLines

Eric Anholt eric at anholt.net
Sat Dec 6 23:05:13 PST 2008

On Sun, 2008-12-07 at 06:48 +0000, Terry Barnaby wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am playing with an Intel G45FC Motherboard with a HDMI connected Samsung HDTV.
> I am using Fedora 10 as the base with the latest DRM/X11 driver from the
> Xorg GIT repository. In general this appears to be working.
>
> However, the TV's EDID is not correct in some details and so I wish to override
> some things in the "Monitor section of the xorg.conf file. However they do not
> seem to work.
>
> If I add: "DisplaySize	890 500" this is ignored.
>
> If I add: "ModeLine "1920x1080_50" 148.50 1920 2448 2492 2640 1080 1084 1089
> 1125 +HSync +VSync" with a "Modes "1920x1080_50" " line in the "Screen" section
> this seems to be ignored.
>
> Is there any way to get the Intel driver to use a user provided ModeLine ?

xorg.conf(5):
       Option "PreferredMode"  "string"
              This optional entry specifies a mode to be marked as the preferred ini‐
              tial mode of the monitor.  (RandR 1.2-supporting drivers only)

However the real preferred thing to do is write up a quirk for the
server to fix your EDID so that other people get the benefit of your
bugfixes.

--
Eric Anholt
eric at anholt.net                         eric.anholt at intel.com