Broken X11 After Mandriva Upgrade

- gw1500se awingnut at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 6 14:12:26 PST 2008

I had to rebuild the RPM database since I got an error trying the uninstall. Then when I did the uninstall it said that driver was not installed. So I proceeded to install the suggested version. The install seemed to work fine. Unfortunately, nothing has changed. When I 'startx', I get the following:

X Window System Version 1.3.0
Release Date: 19 April 2007
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 1.3
Build Operating System: Linux_2.6.24.5-server-2mnb Mandriva
Current Operating System: Linux dap002 2.6.22.9-desktop-1mdv #1 SMP Thu Sep 27 04:07:04 CEST 2007 i686
Build Date: 07 August 2008
        Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
Module Loader present
        (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Sat Dec  6 17:02:06 2008
(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
Using vt 7
(II) Module already built-in
(II) Module already built-in
xinit:  No such file or directory (errno 2):  Cannot register with ConsoleKit: org.freedesktop.CkConnector.Error: Unable to open session: Failed to connect to socket /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: No such file or directory
SetClientVersion: 0 9
SetGrabKeysState - disabled

At this stage, X is running but I cannot start any sessions. It appears to me that what ever process creates that socket is not installed or is not running. I also question the line that says "Using vt 7" rather then saying something about 'i810'. My xorg.conf has the driver set to 'i810'.

Is there a way to verify the installation of X11 or to force a reinstall? Now that I have the rpm database rebuilt maybe I need to force a reinstall of all X11.