[newb] Will xorg still allow non-hal config?

vehemens vehemens at verizon.net
Wed Dec 3 20:08:35 PST 2008

On Wednesday 03 December 2008 02:33:34 pm Peter Hutterer wrote:

> http://who-t.blogspot.com/2008/12/evdev-xorgconf-hal-and-other-fud.html
>
> That's a quick brain dump of input related things I could think of that are
> repeatedly asked on the list, irc, and bugreports. The information is
> accurate as of git master today and extends to server 1.5 (mostly) and
> server 1.6.

Hate to be a bringer of bad news but "The evdev driver is the preferred input
driver. If you are not running Linux, then evdev is not available for you and
you can keep using the mouse/kbd drivers." is not correct.

It faults with git master on my FreeBSD machine.

(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Mouse0" (type: MOUSE)
(**) Mouse0: (accel) keeping acceleration scheme 1
(**) Mouse0: (accel) filter chain progression: 2.00
(**) Mouse0: (accel) filter stage 0: 20.00 ms
(**) Mouse0: (accel) set acceleration profile 0
(II) Mouse0: SetupAuto: hw.iftype is 4, hw.model is 0
(II) Mouse0: SetupAuto: protocol is SysMouse
(**) Option "CoreKeyboard"
(**) Keyboard0: always reports core events
(**) Option "Protocol" "standard"
(**) Keyboard0: Protocol: standard
(**) Option "AutoRepeat" "500 30"
(**) Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
(**) Keyboard0: XkbRules: "xorg"
(**) Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
(**) Keyboard0: XkbModel: "pc105"
(**) Option "XkbLayout" "us"
(**) Keyboard0: XkbLayout: "us"
(**) Option "CustomKeycodes" "off"
(**) Keyboard0: CustomKeycodes disabled
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Keyboard0" (type: KEYBOARD)

Fatal server error:
Caught signal 11.  Server aborting