[rant] keeping policy in HAL

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Tue Dec 2 01:56:11 PST 2008

Daniel Stone wrote:
> Well, yes.  If you're using HAL, then you're using evdev.  If you're
> using HAL to tell X that you're using another driver, then you're using
> another driver.  Oh yeah, and HAL won't add the same UDI twice.

So the correct solution here is to not use the "mouse" driver as per
Paulo's original snippet of xorg.conf but rather use evdev manually
configured in the xorg.conf with the
  Option "Device" "/dev/input/by-id/blahblahblah"
set appropriately?

So assuming a netbook with built in touch pad and USB mouse, if  X is
started prior to HAL, it will find it's built-in devices no problem (as
they've been saved in xorg.conf) and start using them, and later, when
HAL starts, it will not re-add the touch pad but will add in the USB mouse?

(bad example as the touch pad will arguably be a synaptics but the
principle stands!)

>>   I also have seem reports of a users having problems after the
>> switch to hal/evdev due to not restoring keyboard/mouse after
>> suspend/resume.
>
> --disable-config-dbus --disable-config-hal

That's not really a solution tho' is it? Fixing evdev to restore things
properly is the correct fix... we need to gather more info on this tho'
as I've personally not had any bother here... (although my whole xserver
crashes on resume so that's maybe why :p - /me needs new drm bits in
kernel me thinks...)

Col

--

Colin Guthrie