X input module binary compatibility across xorg 1.3, 1.4, or 1.5?

Mon Dec 1 09:19:50 PST 2008

Chueh Steel wrote:
> Hi, all,
>
> 1. Is it possible to compiler one X input module so that it could be
> binary compatible across xorg 1.3, 1.4 or 1.5?

I believe Nvidia does this, but I don't know if they've published how.

Due to the API/ABI changes, you would have to have header files available
for all the versions, and check at runtime which ABI is offered and use
the appropriate structures/functions for that ABI.   It would seem that
using arrays of function pointers, much like the core server does, would
be one simple way of handling this, filling them in at module initialization
with pointers to the functions for the correct ABI.    It would be a lot
of work...

	-Alan Coopersmith-           alan.coopersmith at sun.com