[rant] keeping policy in HAL

Alan Cox alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Mon Dec 1 08:11:46 PST 2008

> > Apriori, there is no sensible default keyboard layout.
>
> Yes, there is, and it's called US.  This isn't being Anglo-centric or

Which US layout - there are several and then you get all the variants
with extra funny buttons for internet etc ?

> anything, and I'm not going to argue the point.  Your analogy about
> Russian versions of Windows holds true still: Russian distributions can
> change the default to ru.  Everyone's a winner.

The keyboard default can be deduced from the locale default in most cases
so the problem can be solved far more elegantly than praying the user is
in one particularly random mid sized country.

Alan