[rant] keeping policy in HAL

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 06:24:51 PST 2008

On Sun, Nov 30, 2008 at 10:38 PM, Alexander E. Patrakov
<patrakov at gmail.com> wrote:

> It is traditionally the default only in Xorg. If you get a Russian
> version of Windows 2000 or XP, Russian will be the default, with the
> possibility to switch to English with Alt+Shift. Also, even in the US
> version, the keyboard layout is asked for during the installation, and
> this becomes the default for all new keyboards.

I have a half completed patch to allow you to set the default RMLVO at
build time. Then at least you could have a localized build in a
controlled manner.

I actually think it would be really easy to write a patch to set the
default RMLVO at run time, too. It's a single call to
XkbSetRulesDflts. However, I don't know exactly where you'd set that.
A separate "XKB" xorg.conf section? And the defaults only last until a
device is added with different settings and blows away the old ones
with XkbSetRulesDflts.

--
Dan