[newb] Will xorg still allow non-hal config?

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Mon Dec 1 04:15:05 PST 2008

Le Lun 1 décembre 2008 12:22, Colin Guthrie a écrit :

> I think the real question here is who is responsible for this.

IMHO the core problem is that the Linux kernel console has been left
to rot quietly. The main reason evdev/hal does not export a system
layout information xorg could use automatically is that layouts on the
console are often misconfigured, since:
1. they do not use the layout database where maintenance happens
(xkb-config)
2. therefore the optimal layout is often missing console-side, and
"good-enough for debugging" qwerty is used
3. even when there is a good layout, there is often no obvious mapping
between the console layout name and the xorg layout name.

The result is that since there is no single shared layout X and the
kernel use, no layout info is exposed by the kernel infrastructure.
(and from a functional point of view there is no reason a key should
have a different behaviour in X and the console).

BTW now that almost all the X userspace has been converted to use
fontconfig and modern TrueType/OpenType fonts, I expect the level of
attention fonts in legacy bitmap format receive to drop sharply, which
will ultimately lead to problems kernel console-side.

--
Nicolas Mailhot