[rant] keeping policy in HAL

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Mon Dec 1 00:49:29 PST 2008

Le Lun 1 décembre 2008 08:19, David Miller a écrit :

> But what I spend most of my time doing is figuring out what new
> "default" breaks Xorg on my system.  This was one of them.
>
> The other one was the internal fonts stuff with the X server, which
> caused me to lose my Emacs international fonts.

I don't think it's fair to complain that xorg folks finally started
de-emphasizing (not even disabling) the core fonts system more than
half a decade after fontconfig was announced and clearly positioned as
the target font system (IIRC even SUN was told in no incertain terms
it could forget its own next-gen font system because everyone that
mattered had adopted fontconfig). If someone complained today foo was
only possible in a 2.6 (not 2.4) kernel would you heed it? fontconfig
is at least as old as Linux 2.6.0.

If you want to complain at someone, complain at software providers
which have waited till software started to break user-side to consider
the fontconfig transition.

Ironically fontconfig was adopted in large part because the core fonts
system had major problems with internationalization.

--
Nicolas Mailhot