xf86-video-intel 2.5 release planning

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Thu Aug 28 10:36:51 PDT 2008

Timo Jyrinki wrote:
> 2008/8/28 R. G. Newbury <newbury at mandamus.org>:
>> "there seems to be no need for any workarounds anymore "
>>
>> Hmmmm.....XvMC on frames larger than PAL sized 720x578???
>
> Ok I have zero experience with XvMC. What I meant was that free
> software distributions do not need to enable workarounds anymore to
> have enjoyable user experience, but can ship upstream sources as is.
> As an example, Ubuntu now dropped their force greedy and prefer
> overlay Xv patches.

Yes. I misunderstood what you were referring to.
And you are absolutely correct that it is a 'good thing' that distros do
not have to fiddle with upstream code.
Which leaves a now fairly small group of 'broken' stuff to look at.

So, I was really just changing the subject by repeating my (repetitive)
bleat to try to encourage someone to look into why XvmC, which works on
small frames using the later Intel drivers, does not work in large
frames. Because it would be nice to be able to say that 'XvMC works'
(period!) on Intel chipsets.

Geoff