[ANNOUNCE] xf86-video-nv 2.1.11

Hal V. Engel hvengel at astound.net
Thu Aug 28 09:25:19 PDT 2008

On Thursday 28 August 2008 01:26:32 am Dave Airlie wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 4:35 PM, Kai-Uwe Behrmann <ku.b at gmx.de> wrote:
> >>
> >> It already has randr 1.2 for all G80 and above cards.
> >
> > Seems I am out of luck with a GeForce 6200. Is'nt it about to put
> > older cards into a table? Or is the more involved to support them?
>
> nouveau is the the only hope for pre-G80s.
>
> Dave.

In fact at this point for 2D work (which is all the nv driver can do) nouveau
is a better driver than nv (or the blob actaully) and it has XRandR 1.2
support for all GPUs starting with NV04 through NV5x.  This includes 4000,
5000, 6000, 7000, 8000 and 9000 series cards/chip sets.  For most things the
NV4x GPUs (6000 and 7000 series) is the hardware that has the most mature
support in the nouveau driver and for users who have one of these GPUs.

It does seem that nvidia is obsolesing older GPUs much more quickly of late.
At one point they dropped support in the current blob (100.x and later) for
anything older than NV3x.  The latest blob drivers (177.x) have now dropped
support for NV3x and only support NV4x and NV5x GPUs.   This still inlcudes
Kai-Uwe's 6200 but I wonder for how much longer.

Hal